Saturday, March 6, 2010

One Pan Wonder : Chicken, Prawn and Tomato Paella

Tonight I tried Donna Hay's paella recipe.   Mmm... not quite sure how this one went.   I've decided to post while it is still "raw" so to speak ... not when I feel a bit better about it tomorrow.

It started out well ... the recipe looked great ...



















How hard could a "one pan wonder" be???  I heated the oil ... added the chicken and prawns ...

I cooked up the onion, garlic, chilli and parika ....
The smell was amazing ... was very impressed with my effort so far ...
I then added the rice, tomato and stock.   Still smelling amazing ...

Simmered for 25 minutes and the result ....

So, I called the family "dinner is ready ... come and get it".   I served up, what I thought was a pretty good first attempt at Paella.   I was sure it was looking impressive and therefore the hubby and kids would be singing my praises ...















Everyone was chatting and digging into dinner, so I thought I would prompt for some feedback ... music changed ... maybe I should have kept my mouth shut and enjoyed my dinner quietly.

Hubby:  "It's nice" ... I wasn't happy with that so I pushed for more feedback ... "well the chicken isn't that good ... too plain for such an exotic dish" ... now my ego was bruised.  I knew he didn't really like it.   Note to self ... don't use leftover catering chicken for paella - only ever use Lenards Tender Gold Chicken Breast! Sorry babe!

Daughter: "Mmm.... not my favourite ... sorry"

Son: "It's ok ... I'd eat it if I was stuck on a deserted island!"

Son's friend:  "This chicken tastes like the food we give our cat"!

Well that was it for me ... I've shut up kitchen for the night ... no treats for anyone!   And if you want a cup of tea ... make your own!!!

1 comment:

  1. For the record ... I enjoyed it. Will how ever use different chicken next time. Yes! There will be a next time!!!

    ReplyDelete